On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 11:36:00 AM UTC-4, Martin Bak wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 1:38:42 PM UTC+2, Stephen Kilpatrick wrote:
> > Does trying to do the Qubes installer from a USB drive give you any
> > differences than a SD card? Have you looked around the user group to see if
> > anyone else has had luck with SD booting?
> >

> > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Martin Bak <marti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 12:07:00 PM UTC+2, Martin Bak wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Dell XPS 9350 i7 U6500 laptop... I have bought a Sandisk Extreme
> > > SDHC UHS-II PRO 32GB SD card (300MB/sec) and i have used Rufus to write
> > > the CUBES OS ISO file to the SD card (in DD mode)...
> >

> > > When i boot CUBES OS - the menu shows...but after i choose install/test
> > > and install...it loads the first 3 lines - all with an added status of
> > > "OK"... but afterwards... the screen is just black and stays black...and
> > > nothing happens...
> >

> > > So - im stucked :-( and don't know how to make it work?
> >

> > > I really hope some of you guys can help me to solve this issue :-)
> >

> > > Best regards,
> >
> > > Martin
> >

> > UPDATE!
> >

> > 1. I have tried added "nomodeset" - which didn't change anything
> >
> > 2. I simply can't burn/copy/extrat the rEFIt file in Windows to an USB drive
> >

> > 3. But may by this helps a bit! I looked into my BIOS and realized that i
> > CAN boot the SD card in regular mode (i guess its called UEFI mode vs
> > Legacy).
> >
> > And when i boot like this i get better error messages! Like:
> >

> > 1. EFI_MEMMAP is not enabled
> >
> > 2. ESRT header is not in memory map
> >
> > 3. dracut-pre-trigger[404] cat: /tmp/dd_disk: No such file or directory
> >

> > First time i ran it this way - its afterwards showed the message below:
> >

> > Generating "run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt"
> >

> > I tried to open the file - but without luck... i tried nano, vim ect...
> >
> > but they don't seem to be available? How can i open a text file in the
> > Qubes prompt?
> >

> > I don't know why the "generating message"...does not show up again?
> >

> > --

> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/ddd65f7e-4d79-4bc5-b39b-886f218f9397%40googlegroups.com.

> > --
> >
> > Stephen Kilpatrick
> > Student ID: 000563293
> > BS IT Security Start Date: 11/01/2016
> > My Mentor: Unassigned
> > Cell: 740-586-5919 EST
> > ski...@mywgu.edu
>

> I used 4 entire days just to get Qubes to work...OMG! Why sooo diffecult :-(
>
> I bought 2 new 64 GB Sandisk 3.0 USB and finally completed the installation.
> I have checked the HASH/Verified the ISO in Windows - BUT after i used Rufus
> to copy it to the USB and i boot on it and start the installation - inside
> Qubes there is a feature to verify the media...and it says: This media is not
> good to install from!???
>
> I completed the installation - and thus it still shows some different
> [...]

would be better peace of mind if the media check passed.  But warnings are you
seeing when booting the qubes install?

Marek says that when you mount a usb on windows 10 it will create some files on
it that qubes does not recognize and consider it unrealiable.

 But as I've said I also don't use rufus I use rawrite32.exe. Test media always
passes for me.  Try after finishing the burn on windows to quickly remove the
usb and then reboot machine.  then put the usb back in and see if theres any
diff.