I am trying to upgrade pip version from 8.1.1 to 9.0.1 using pip install
--upgrade pip.  But it merely reinstalls 8.1.1.  When I use sudo pip install
--upgrade, I get the following message:

The directory '/home/user/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned
by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the
permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may
want sudo's -H flag.
The directory '/home/user/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by
the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions
and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H
flag.
You must give at least one requirement to install (see "pip help install")

I am doing this on ubuntu.  Can someone help me change my permissions so that I
can get this to upgrade?  I would appreciate help.  Thanks.