On 06/05/2017 04:53 PM, Vít Šesták wrote:
It seems I've violated some Qubes assumption. When I try to update debian-8
template via qubes-manager, it does nothing.

I've tried to debug a bit:

$ qvm-run -a -p -u root debian-8 /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.InstallUpdatesGUI
Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: %s
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Ha, $DISPLAY is missing. I haven't messed with sudo in this VM, but anyway, it
works well with sudo:

$ qvm-run -a -p -u root debian-8 'env | grep DISPLAY'
$ qvm-run -a -p -u user debian-8 'env | grep DISPLAY'
DISPLAY=:0
$ qvm-run -a -p -u user debian-8 'sudo env | grep DISPLAY'
DISPLAY=:0
$ qvm-run -a -p -u user debian-8 'su -c env | grep DISPLAY'
su: must be run from a terminal

Hmm, not sure where the restriction could come from. When listing full env
output, both sudo and “-u root” variants are somewhat stripped (e.g.,
QUBES_KEYMAP is missing), but sudo's environment is stripped a bit less.

Where to look next?

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

This works correctly for me, even with a completely unmodified debian-8 template.

Have you made modifications which might suppress setting of DISPLAY for root?

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett