On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 12:33:31 PM UTC-5, Patrick Bouldin wrote:
> Hi, I started with a fresh install of Qubes 3.2
>
> Then I upgraded dom0
>
> Then I decided to upgrade fedora-23 to fedora-24 using the steps here:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade-23-to-24/
>

> I followed the "summary" instructions at the top. Then I decided to remove
> fedora-23 from the system and added in some of the commands from the detail.
>
> This caused the image of fedora-24 to disappear as well. Note, one command I
> used was:
>
> sudo dnf remove qubes-template-fedora-23 (and indeed I ensured I typed 23,
> not 24).
>

> When launching the VM it indicated there was no image file.
>
> So I'm doing this all over, loading a new Qubes. Question though, can someone
> please edit these instructions to include deleting fedora-23 properly?
>
> They are:
>
>   [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-clone fedora-23 fedora-24
>     [user@dom0 ~]$ truncate -s 5GB /var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img
>     [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a fedora-24 gnome-terminal
>     [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-block -A fedora-24
> dom0:/var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img
>     [user@fedora-24 ~]$ sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/xvdi
>     [user@fedora-24 ~]$ sudo mount /dev/xvdi /mnt/removable
>     [user@fedora-24 ~]$ sudo dnf clean all
>     [user@fedora-24 ~]$ sudo dnf --releasever=24
> --setopt=cachedir=/mnt/removable distro-sync
>
> (Shut down TemplateVM by any normal means.)
>
>     [user@dom0 ~]$ rm /var/tmp/template-upgrade-cache.img
>     [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-trim-template fedora-24
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Update - I started again and I'd imagine I did something wrong, so I suggest
the following update at the top of the upgrade page:

Experienced users - use Summary, otherwise use detailed instructions.

In the detailed instructions I'd suggest adding:

(Recommended - After upgrading the Fedora 24 (from the Fedora 23 clone), clone
the new Fedora 24 to a copy - and THEN continue with clean up steps.

Thanks,
Patrick