On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 1:05:38 PM UTC-5, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> On 2017-06-22 11:49 AM, motech man wrote:
> > I just used the qubes-dom9-update cli cmd. Still not sure how to change
> > kernel config to tailor to my hardware. I have compiled any a Linux kernel
> > but not sure the proper "qubes" way to do it. I'm just a newb after all ;-/
>
> It's not hard. If you're familiar with compiling a normal kernel, all
> you need to do is to grab Qubes kernel source here:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-linux-kernel/tree/stable-4.9
>
> Run 'make get-sources && make verify-sources' to download the vanilla
> kernel source.
>
> Take the config file from the Qubes kernel root directory and run 'make
> menuconfig' on that (extract the kernel source with tar Jxf, copy that
> config file to .config in the kernel source directory, run 'make
> menuconfig') and customize it to your liking. When you're done, copy
> that updated .config file to replace the old config file in the root
> Qubes kernel directory.
>
> Then run 'make rpms' to compile the whole thing. Outputted rpms will be
> in the rpms/x86_64 directory.
>
> Finally, copy them to dom0 and install them using rpm -ivh --force.
>
> If you're feeling adventurous, I've got a 4.11 branch on my GitHub
> account, if you want to see if that'll fix your suspend issues.
>
> https://github.com/rtiangha/qubes-linux-kernel/tree/devel-4.11
>
> I've been running it on my desktop since its release and it seems to
> work fine.

OK, sounds straightforward, I'll give it a shot.

As to the 4.11 offer, will that work for a kaby-lake system? Sound far older
than the 4.4 kernel in the current 3.2 Qubes ISO. Unless you mistyped the
version I suspect it would not work well.

Are there any specific options or patches in that 4.11 code that relate to
suspend issues?