On 06/29/2017 01:13 PM, motech man wrote:
I updated the fedora 23 template with changes to the hosts /etc/file,
and I noticed that all other VMs that used that template had the
update flag set. That makes perfect sense.

So when I was done I shutdown the template VM and now the Update VM
item is grayed out in the dom0 menu. Restarting the fedora 23
template or any of the VMs that use it in any order or combination
does not allow me to update the VMs that use that template.

I made sure all VMs that use that template were shutdown. In fact the
only VM running is dom0.

What is the correct procedure for updating the hosts file for all VMs
dependent on fedora 23 (what is the rule for when the 'Update VM'
menu is active)?

You perform updates on templates themselves, not on the VMs which use them.

The indicator you're referring to as "update flag" simply shows that the
VM's template has been changed in some way. Shutting down the template and re-starting the derivative VM is how you make the update take effect in the VM.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett