It's really important that you take it steadily, and stay calm.

At this stage I would ensure that I have all the data secure.

Since you know how to decrypt your Qubes partition and mount it, you can
take a backup of the data - the VMs are all in /var/lib/qubes - and the
xml file you see there contains Qubes internal data.
But the actual data can be secured by copying the appVM directories to an
external drive.
Do that and the feeling of panic will subside, because you know your
data is safe.

At that point you can do what you like - reinstall, or continue to try
to solve the boot problem. I would have a cup of tea while the files are
backing up - very soothing.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "qubes-users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20170706202803.xu6rgj4ye7rjblyl%40thirdeyesecurity.org.

Alright, good, thank you, I've done the backup of the whole /var/lib/qubes directory.

Now that I'm more calm, I was thinking of doing the following to try to fix the boot problem: Since I have already deleted the sys-usb folder at /var/lib/qubes/servicevms/, I'm installing qubes OS in an external drive, and the thought behind it is to copy the relative boot folders and files of this working qubes OS, and paste in the internal HDD (with the broken boot/grub thing) in order to fix the boot.

So basically the idea is to copy the currently working boot of the working qubes OS freshly installed in the external drive, and paste it in the broken qubes OS to fix it, and so be able to launch the OS again.

NOW THE QUESTION IS, what folders and files should I copy? ANY IDEA?
The alternative is to completely reinstall qubes, and replace the whole qubes folder (got from /var/lib/qubes) to import the old vms, but I would cringe a bit doing that since I had set up my qubes panels, mouse speed, general settings, etc.

By the way Thank you a lot for the support shown till now, it really is super appreciated!