On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 11:57:26AM -0700, cyrinux wrote:
> Le samedi 15 juillet 2017 20:20:55 UTC+2, Noor Christensen a écrit :
> > On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:55:16AM -0700, cyrinux wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have 20gb memory, but I use a lot of VM.
> > > Sometimes xorg is randomly kill.
> > > I would like to protect xorg from being killed. I'm trying to play with
> > > overcommit but is it a good idea?
> > > Must I boot dom0 minimal memory?
> > >
> > > Bonus: after a xorg crash, I can't reconnect to guid daemon. How to do? I
> > > use i3, is it a i3 problem?
> > > Regards
> >
> > What version of Qubes are you running on your dom0?
> >
> > By "using a lot of VM", do you mean virtual memory or virtual machines?
> > For clarity, I will use the term meaning the latter, and "virtual
> > memory" when referring to the former.
> >
> > Just want to make clear since the topic makes it a bit ambiguous :-)
> >
> > Is it your dom0 Xorg process that is being killed, or one that is
> > running in a VM?
> >
> > You might want to take a look at how your resources are being used by
> > dom0 and any running VMs. Run "xentop" in a dom0 terminal for a nice
> > realtime summary.
>
> Hi Noor,
> By VM, i mean Virtual Machine (we can say Qubes), I have at minimum 15 Qubes
> running.
> It is xorg in dom0 which is killed, I type 'dmesg' in dom0 terminal and see
> it is killed.
> I will retry to play with xentop. In idle my dom0 use 700MB (and 2200MB
> cache)/~3000MB.
> About reconnect to guid, before i use 'qvm-run --all true' to reconnect to
> them, but after this OOM this doesn't work. Do you have an idea?

If you check the RAM and CPU allocation settings for those 15 VMs you have
running, are they reasonably set? I mean, compared to your total amount
of memory.

This will give you the current settings for a specific VM:

# qvm-prefs -l <vm-name> | egrep 'memory|maxmem'

You might have to experiment a bit with those settings, since there are
no optimal defaults for this. It really depends on what you are doing
with your VMs, and how much you allocate for each VM.

-- noor

|_|O|_|
|_|_|O|  Noor Christensen