Hello fellow Qubesers,

Qubes continues to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and makes
me want to share it with the world.

I've been quite busy with real-world things recently and had to use
several different printers & scanners. Prior experience has
conditioned me to expect frustration, or at least annoyance.

On windows I have memories of disabling driver signature enforcement,
installing some big printer "drivers" from totally unauthenticatable
sources, which then actually come with bloated desktop applications
with features like "scan with your webcam". (Hello scanner company: if
that worked well, then nobody would buy your scanners or install their
drivers!) Oh, and the fancy ink level reporting dialogues saying
things like "You have -60012% cyan ink left! Click <dead link> to buy
more now!" - those are great.

On OS X I remember the days of force-killing the printer app as the UI
blocks indefinitely while waiting for a reply from the printer which
isn't coming. Or the network printer which somehow gets a different
DHCP lease every day resulting in a list of 20 saved printers
"helpfully" auto-discovered and persisted, all with the same name, all
indistinguishable in the UI, but only one of which actually works.

On various Linuxes & *BSDs, I remember wrestling for days on every
install to get lpd and cups working, and then dealing with differences
in postscript parsers causing messed up formatting, and stupid udev
rules running things of massive complexity as root so that your
scanner would have a really easy time if it wanted to compromise
you... *sigh*

On Qubes, it's a completely different story. First, I pass my USB
printer or scanner through to a DispVM. To print, I just copy the file
to the DispVM, open it with anything, and print it, and the printer is
automatically found and "just works" (thanks Fedora). To scan: I pass
the printer to a DispVM, open simple-scan, click the scan button, and
it just works! When I'm happy with my scan, I copy it out of the
DispVM and then convert to trusted PDF! So far every printer or
scanner just works the first time, I haven't needed to look under the
hood for anything.

With sys-usb, DispVMs, and convert-to-trusted-pdf I feel reasonably
confident that if the printers or scanners were malicious, the worst
they could do is mutate my documents or store them for later retrieval
by an adversary (which is an inherent problem with any commodity
printer and totally unrelated to the OS used to interface with). This
would be even more true with a stateless laptop without any persistent
mutable firmware for the USB controllers, and when sys-usb can act
like a DispVM itself without hacks (R4?).

Qubes may be far from my theoretically ideal OS, but it absolutely
hits a pragmatic sweet spot improving security *and* usability
simultaneously.

Might I dare re-purpose a colored slogan and say Qubes is truly
"making computers great again"? :P

Sincerely,
Jean-Philippe

</rant> Now back to work...