In Qubes 3.2 with i3, in any qube, regardless of which template I use, and
regardless of which physical keyboard I use, the right Alt key is useless when
mapped as AltGr, because it generates spurious Alt_L events.

With a standard American keyboard (or Polish one; they're equivalent except for
the markings) and American localization, start a new qube, run xev, press and
release right Alt, and notice you get KeyPress and KeyRelease events for
keycode 108 (keysym Alt_R).

Now, do this:
xmodmap -e 'remove mod1 = Alt_R'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 108 = Mode_switch'

Then run xev again, and notice when you press right Alt, you get a KeyPress
event for keycode 108 (keysym Mode_switch), as expected. However, when you
release right Alt, you get two events: a spurious KeyPress event for keycode 64
(keysym Alt_L), followed by a KeyRelease event for keycode 108 (keysym
Mode_switch). You should only get the latter.

Why does that happen?

On another system running plain Debian instead of Qubes, using the same
keyboards, I don't get the spurious KeyPress for keycode 64.