Did you ever make additional progress on your problems with QWT?  I encountered
all the same issues you did, and the one I've not been able to solve is always
having to run my Win7 apps in debug mode, thus losing the possibility of lovely
seamless integration.

I tried what you suggested about backing out the latest QWT and installing the
previous version.  I tried it first with simply uninstalling from my VM, with
quirky results, so I went ahead and created a fresh VM.   This particular
behavior continues, though, also with the GUI agent outdated protocol error on
exit, and usually with two Win7 related QubesDB files that need to be manually
deleted prior to relaunching as well.