On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 9:15:26 PM UTC-4, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:50 PM, cooloutac <raahe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Qubes doesn't support secure boot unfortunately.  I think its batshit crazy
> > to consider a pc even reasonably secure without it.
>
> Secure boot in reality is quite far from the boot chain panacea its
> name may suggest.
>
> If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading Joanna's "Intel x86
> considered harmful" paper [1] and checking out Trammell Hudson's Heads
> project [2].
>
> FWIW, the systems I currently believe have the most secure boot chains
> do not involve UEFI at all.
>
> Regards,
> Jean-Philippe
>
> [1]: https://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
> [2]: http://osresearch.net/

That sounds insane, what systems are those?   Yes Joanna started saying things
Richard Stallman had been saying for years.  But its Still just alot of "what
ifs"...

In reality, and what we know as true facts, and what is,   is that secure boot
stops attacks like hacking teams insyde bios exploit. Nothing else would.  And
yes these things can happen remotely, physical access is not required. An OS
probably isn't even required.  Even Richard Stallman has changed his tune and
says secure boot is ok to use in its current state as a security feature. He
half halfheartedly admits he was wrong by saying Microsoft failed its intended
purpose.  So any FSF hippie nut still preaching against secure boot is just a
hater.  A hater of microsoft, a hater of redhat,  and someone who doesn't want
to admit they were wrong.
 I think its insane to call any system even reasonably secure,without secure
boot.