Hi,

I am new to Qubes OS and this group. Attached please find a PDF
outlining how I organized my setup in general. Getting right to the
point, here is what I have done so far:

* setup and using all fedora-23 based qubes / qubes-split-gpg ... all
works fine and as expected

* created Windows 7 HVM template [1]

* created USB qube [2] and verified that USB pass-through works using
the "dev" fedora-23 AppVM. Many of the hardware tools I use have Linux
clients [3][4][5]

My issue:

* other hardware tools I need to use have only Windows clients [6][7][8]

* it is my impression that the qubes-windows-tools do not (yet) support
USB pass-through - is that correct?

* I have also tried to assign the entire USB controller to the Windows
HVM but have failed. I can repeat and provide error messages if that
would be a valid approach.

My next steps:

* install VirtualBox [9] in a dedicated fedora-23 based AppVM

* run Windows 7 as a guest in VirtualBox inside the fedora-23 qube

I know that:

1) USB pass-through into fedora-23 AppVM works
2) I have used a Windows VBox on Linux installs before (non Qubes OS)
3) USB pass-through from Linux to the VBox worked too

So I see no reason other than performance that the above wouldn't work.

The purpose of this email is:

* confirm that qubes-windows-tools do not support USB pass-through and I
have not overlooked anything or made a mistake along the way

* evaluate whether assigning the entire USB controller to the HVM is a
viable solution ... some seem to have had success with that, but I
couldn't find much details on how to do it other than the obvious tab
in the Qubes VM Manager details for the respective qube.

* get feedback regarding my setup in general (attachment) ... does this
make sense?

* get feedback if anyone else is using the Windows VBox in fedora AppVM
approach to enable USB pass-through

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am looking forward to any
feedback you are willing to share.

/Sven

[1]
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/#using-template-based-window