On 08/17/2017 04:32 PM, james.buttler1...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm just starting to use qubes os and I'm trying to understand how it all
> works.
>
> If I wanted to setup the system to route all my traffic through tor and then
> that tor traffic through a vpn
>
> Would I simply setup a TORVM with Its netVM being the vpnvm ?
>
> Or can a netVM not have its own netVM?
>
> Thanks for the help

Qubes comes with sys-whonix, which is a ProxyVM that routes traffic
through Tor. If you want to connect to Tor first, and then the VPN
second, you would make a new ProxyVM for your VPN (I'll call it sys-vpn)
and set its netvm to be sys-whonix. Then you'd create AppVMs and set
their netvm to be sys-vpn.

This way, all of the internet traffic in those AppVMs would be coming
from your VPN's IP address, but you'll be connecting to your VPN
anonymously over Tor.

If you want all your traffic to go over this VPN, then in the VM Manager
you can open Global Settings and set the default netvm to sys-vpn. (You
can of course have specific AppVMs that use sys-whonix or sys-firewall
as their netvm as well, like if you want to just use Tor, or if you want
to click through captive portals on wifi networks.)