On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 7:14:29 AM UTC-5, Francesco wrote:
> Hello
>

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM,  <cdga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>

> *** TL;DR: Would the option to attach the GPU to a single qube be feasible?
> ***
>

> Recently tried out Q3.2 and Q4.0-rc1. Pretty happy with most of it, and have
> some ideas on what might make it better (if those ideas are plausible) - but
> the GPU seems to be the deal breaker.
>

> On LinuxMint, I like using VLC video player to watch lectures, using it's
> option to speed up without altering pitch. On both versions of Q, video on
> VLC behaved badly (often freezing up). Audio was good, so can only think it
> is GPU issue
>

> This is not normal, probably an issue with your hardware. Look if your
> computer is on HCL
>

> I also use Skype a fair bit on LinuxMint, and find the "share screen" mode
> useful to show stuff. Video on Skype also performed badly on on both versions
> of Q, and "share screen" wouldn't work at all. Again, I can only think this
> is GPU
>

> For the video it is the same as above, but for Skype and VOIP in general I
> find it much practical to use it on my cellphone

I can't really speak to the GPU, but for screen sharing with Skype, that will
not be a possibility on Qubes. Dom0 controls the GUI/desktop and you can't
install (nor would you ever want to) install an insecure MS product on Dom0.
For me, I just send screenshots now instead of screen sharing. It's a little
less convenient, but i'm happy to trade a little convenience for security.