On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 09:55:46PM -0300, Franz wrote:

> Template? Now I'm getting confused. The tutorial you showed me tells to do:
>
> [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a fedora-23-dvm gnome-terminal
>
> Since my DispVM is based on template debian-8-multimedia, I did:
>
> qvm-run -a debian-8-multimedia-dvm gnome-terminal
>
> Is this a template?

DisposableVms in 3.2 are based on a DVMTemplate, which is generated from
an ordinary template.

> Anyway did the changes, created the .qubes-dispvm-customized file,
> poweroff. Regenerated the DispVM
> qvm-create-default-dvm debian-8-multimedia
>
> or am I wrong and should instead use debian-8-multimedia-dvm

No, you are right.

> such as
>
> qvm-create-defaul-dvm debian-8-multimedia-dvm
>
> I have not tried it fearing to break everything, but this second option
> seems to make more sense.

No it doesnt, if you think about the Template - DVMTemplate - disposableVM
pattern.

> > When you open a terminal in a disposableVM, can you see the
> > .qubes-dispvm-customized
> > file that you created in the dispVm template?
>

> not sure I am able to do that with a terminal, but with nautilus and ctrl+h
> hidden files appear, but .qubes-dispvm-customized is NOT present

In that case you need to regenerate the DVMTemplate.

> > (When I customise a dispVM
> > Template I always create a file that isn't hidden, listing the changes.
> > That way I can be sure that subsequent changes are being captured.)
> >

> Yes the difference is that you understand what you are doing  and I cannot
> even imagine what this non hidden file may be.

It's ANY file that you like - When you customise the DVMTemplate,
create a file README, and write in it what you have done.
If you make more changes add description to that file.
Then any disposableVM will contain a README in /home/user showing what
custom changes you have made.

> > If this is the case, then it's possible that your application is
> > checking some feature that ISN'T common between the disposableVMs - disk
> > signatures, MAC address perhaps?
> >

> And setting viewnior  as defult "open with" option for opening .png and
> .jpg also checks MAC address? It is just that I am doing something stupid.
>
> Anyway I tried to start again debian-8-multimedia-dvm  and the empty file
> is there, still empty. Also there is a folder and an hidden file from
> Softmaker that do not appear on normal DispVMs

This shows that your disposableVMs are not using the updated
DVMTemplate.
Whenever this issue has come up in the past, it's invariably been solved
by a slow and methodical approach.
Make sure that the DVMTemplate has customisations and the
.qubes-dispvm-customized file in /home/user (It does, you say.)
Close down the DVMTemplate.
Wait.
Regenerate the DVMTemplate (as you have).

If this doesnt work, then try closing all disposableVMs, qvm-remove the
debian-8-multimedia-dvm, and start again.