On 2017-09-12 12:46, filtration wrote:
> Gaijin:

>>> damn nonlinear editing. that last sentence was supposed to go at the
>>> end of the first paragraph.
>>
>> Well, the good news is that enabling vPro on a Dell is an extra option
>> that you can select (costs $19), so I made sure that selection was off.
>> Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>> The newer Xeon chips in the E5 Series no longer include on-board
>> processor graphics, so Intel graphics isn't an option if I go this
>> route. They can handle a lot more RAM (1.2TB vs. 64GB) and have more
>> cores (10 vs. 4). There's generally a lot more I could do simultaneously
>> with this chip it seems looking at the specs.
>>
>> Researching through these forums and even the Qubes Docs there seems to
>> be a "stay away from nVidia" theme; That's why I was focusing on the AMD
>> graphics card option. Is nVidia Quadro a viable option?
>>
>> Using the Dell configurator, and plugging in RedHat Linux 7.2 as the OS
>> I find that the very newest AMD FirePro graphics card I selected isn't
>> compatible. (I'm assuming RHEL 7.2 is a roughly equivalent to the Fedora
>> 23 in dom0) So I dropped down to the older W5100 card and that seemed to
>> work for them.
>>
>> The graphics aren't really a big part of my work. I just want a box that
>> will be ready to run Qubes v4.
>>

> Gaijin: Intel GPU is recommended, AMD are second best.
>
> IIRC, Dom0 will be based on Fedora 25 in Qubes 4.0. Try checking AMD's
> site (https://support.amd.com/en-us/download) for compatibility reports,
> too.

Looking at the latest AMD FirePro drivers, they have versions that
support RHEL and CentOS, so in turn can I assume one of those might
support Fedora as well? They also seem to have a generic Linux driver
for older OS versions.

I do see a few AMD FirePro cards in the HCL that seem to be working, but
not the specific one I'm looking at, so that's somewhat encouraging...