I guess this could be the problem.

/var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log produces the following 4 lines for each
try to start a disposable VM:

xc: error: X86_PV_VCPU_MSRS record truncated: length 8, min 9: Internal error
xc: error: Restore failed (0 = Success): Internal error
libxl: error: libxl_stream_read.c:749:libxl__xc_domain_restore_done: restoring
domain: Success
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1145:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build
domain: -3

So I guess this means I'm out of luck here and no workaround available?