qubester:
> btw, how or why does one "check their MTU settings?"

Why? Incorrect MTU settings caused me to have disconnects from my VPN
connections. After I measured and compensated for poor MTU, my
connections have become much more stable and disconnects come back
online shortly.

How? MTU is essentially packet size. You can measure in CLI by pinging a
server. There are a few tutorials to correct MTU in OpenVPN. Go to one
of them to check it out.