On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 03:54:56PM -0400, '[799]' via qubes-users wrote:
> Hello
>
> ---- From: micmacoffici...@gmail.com ----
> >> I installed qubes os on my ssd hard-drive with windows 7 and
> >> now I"m trying to get back windows but for some reason I can"t
>
> in case you've joined the Qubes Community for the first time, welcome :-)
>
> I really hope that you've made a backup before (!) installing any other OS on
> the same harddrive/ssd.
> And even if you're not working with a dual boot setup:
> BACKUP YOUR DATA - even more important when using windows.
> Today you can get a 2,5 portable hdd/ssd for less than 100eur and backup
> solutions like Veeam are a setup & forgett solution.
> Please (if you haven't done so): get a backup solution!
> https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html
>
> Regarding your current setup:
> >From the information you've provided I assume that:
> - you had a working windows 7 installation on your ssd
> - you have installed qubes os on the same ssd
> - you can succesfully boot Qubes and login
>
> If this is correct, keep calm and take closer look what happened.
> 1) login into Qubes and start a terminal in dom0
>
> 2) find the identifier of your internal ssd:
> [username@dom0 ~]$ sudo pvdisplay | grep PV
>   PV Name               /dev/sda5
>   PV Size               327.94 GiB / not usable 4.00 MiB
>   PV UUID               A5YJiZ-mYa8-jG9K-6bYd-wYcR-vu3Q-9SBpNp
>
> this will print out three line, one of them: PV Name /dev/sda5
> (this could also be something else but the part behin /dev/ is important)
> additionally you'll see a line: PV Size 327 GiB
> (size will be different in your case).
> If the size is much smaller than your ssd capacity it might be, that the
> other space is still occupied with your windows installation.
>
> 3) Show how your ssd is currently partitioned:
> In my case I got /dev/sda5 which means that my Qubes setup is running on
> partition 5 and my ssd is identified by /dev/sda (remove the last number).
>
> [username@dom0 ~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
> Disk /dev/sda: 447.1 GiB, 480103981056 bytes, 937703088 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
> Disk identifier: 0x435892a5
>
> Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
> /dev/sda1  *         2048   1026047   1024000   500M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
> /dev/sda2         1026048 245762047 244736000 116.7G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
> /dev/sda3       245762048 249956351   4194304     2G 83 Linux
> /dev/sda4       249956352 937701375 687745024   328G  5 Extended
> /dev/sda5       249958400 937701375 687742976   328G 8e Linux LVM
>
> If you can see something like NTFS this indicates a windows partition.
> Make sure that the partition has a reasonable size.
> As you can see I have two NTFS (windows formatted) partitions, where the 1st
> one is only 500mb in size, which indicates the boot partition.
> the 2nd one is the one we are looking for.

> [...]

This is good advice.
Depending on how important the data is, and the state of your current
backups, you should considetr taking a full disk backup before you do
anything else.

You can do this by booting using a live Linux distribution, (kali,
knoppix etc), and then cloning the disk using dd.
If your ssd disk is /dev/sda, then you can create a disk_image like this:
dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.img
It will take a long time as it will copy the WHOLE disk.

The advantage of this is that you preserve the state of the disk AND all
the data. Even if you HAVE overwritten the Windows partitions you may
still be able to recover data.

Did you read the doc pages on multi-booting?

Let us know what the fdisk output shows.