Hello,

as mentioned in the other thread, I was able to successfully create a cent os
minimal HVM.
There are still same smaller problems, as for example the time from grub
selection menue to the login prompt is ~10min, but at least I get a login
prompt and can login.

*** Converting QEmu/Qubes disk to a VMware .vmdk image ***
>> Me: How can I get a (H)VM out of Qubes into a VMware VM.
> I assume you use Qubes 3.2. You can get VM"s disk image from
> /var/lib/qubes/appvms/<name-of-vm>/root.img. This is raw disk image in
> sparse file. You can convert it to vmdk using qemu-img tool, like this:
> qemu-img convert -f raw -O vmdk /path/to/root.img /path/to/root.vmdk

[USER@dom0 ~]$ ls -lah /var/lib/qubes/appvms/my-test/ | grep .img
-rw-rw-r-- 1 USER qubes 2.0G Oct 14 16:07 private.img
-rw-rw-r-- 1 USER qubes  20G Oct 14 17:26 root.img
-rw-rw-r-- 1 USER qubes  22G Oct 14 16:07 volatile.img

During the installation of Cent OS, I choosed to only use the 20GB root image,
not the private 2GB image, as such I didn't understand the size ls is reporting.

[USER@dom0 home]$ du -sh /var/lib/qubes/appvms/my-test/* | grep .img
0 /var/lib/qubes/appvms/my-test/private.img
1.3G /var/lib/qubes/appvms/my-test/root.img
0 /var/lib/qubes/appvms/my-test/volatile.img

this filesizes make more sense to me.
As Marek suggested I tried to convert the image using qemu-img, but as this is
not available in dom0 I used qemu-img-xen:
(my-test is my newly created Cent OS HVM, created from a CentOS minimal ISO)

cd /var/lib/qubes/appvms/my-test
qemu-img convert -f raw -O vmdk root.img root.vmdk

this throws an error direct after starting:
qemu-img: error while writing

I have also looked at
https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-convert-a-xen-virtual-machine-to-vmware
but this uses another syntax (which I also tried but didn't work).

Strangely trying to get informatiom from my root.img via...
qemu-img-xen info root.img
.. results in an error:
qemu-img: Could not open 'root.img'
While I am in the folder and I can see the file with ls.

Any idea where to go from here?
Can someone try to run qemu-img-xen on their system to see if they can get any
information out of their image files?

[799]