On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:25 AM, blacklight <pandakaas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We all know well why xen was chosen as the hypervisor for qubes instead of
> kvm, since this has been stated in multiple places by the devs. But i wonder
> how feasable it would be to use bhyve as a hypervisor for qubes. Ive read
> that it only uses roughly 30k lines of code, so its smaller then xen which is
> good since less code means less attack surface right? and seems to support
> vt-d and vt-x. Also its made by the freebsd theme, which are known for the
> high coding standards. Would it be possible to run qubes with bhyve instead
> of xen? If not, why?
>
> I would love some info on this :)
>
> Greetings, blacklight447

I've looked into this possibility in the past.

Last I checked, bhyve's device models were required to be in the host
and ran with significant privileges. This may have been addressed by
[1], but I'd need to do more research to be sure and see what privs
they still run with.

Other things that would need to be done before it's a viable candidate:
- some XenStore equivelant
- some vchan equivalent
- expose shared mem for zero-copy framebuffers
- de-systemd-ification of dom0 things
and undoubtedly other things that don't immediately come to mind.

Definitely not a trivial task in any case.

Cheers,
Jean-Philippe

[1]: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D8290