On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 1:24:37 PM UTC-4, anguil...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 7:18:56 AM UTC-7, Francesco wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > some strange behavior. on Windows HVM template as well as dependent VMs. In
> > all of them internet is working. I am sure of that because:
> > 1. on cmd pinging google or amazon works
> > 2. a banking application is able to connect and operate
> >
> > but the icon on the system tray states: identifying... no network access
> >
> > worse amazon Kindle for PC believes that and is unable to connect.
> >
> > So I wonder if there is a way to tell the system tray that internet is
> > already connected. Maybe that after that also Kindle will understand that.
> >

> > If I click on the system tray there are lots of options, but all seem
> > directed to create a new connection: wireless, dial-up, router etc, not to
> > join an existing connection.
> >

> > Hope there is an easy answer... Thanks
> > Best
> > Fran
>
> If I recall, the current release notes for windows-tools says that the system
> tray icon will show no network even tho there is and it works. It is like
> this for me and I just accept it.
>
> If someone works out a workaround, cool. But currently, this is expected
> behaviour.

I've had this issue for a long time, and it prevented me from activating Office
365 (which I have to do at every boot for some reason).

I solve it by changing the IP in Windows settings to match the DNS IP - so eg
10.137.10.1 instead of 10.137.10.28.

This does not *actually* have to be DNS IP. I'm not sure exactly what's
happening, but I'm assuming that when DHCP service is selected in networking
settings Windows attempts to verify the internet connection using that
information. Obviously QubesNetworkService will override the information, and a
conflict occurs.

I think as long as you set a static IP, you are fine. For example, if you set
your Windows 7 TemplateVM to its DNS IP, your AppVM network connection should
still work properly even though it may be on a different firewall.

You can verify via ipconfig that even though you have selected the DNS IP in
network settings, you are still connected on the proper IP for Qubes networking.