On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 8:50:18 PM UTC-7, d...@mindstab.net wrote:
> I upgraded my netbook from Linux 4.4.67 to 4.9.35 and lost wifi ability on
> it. I believe it was an Atheros chip using the ath9k driver. At least with it
> I've been able to boot the old 4.4.67 kernel and retain wireless.
>
> This week I upgraded my laptop to 4.9.45 and it also lost wifi ability with
> an Intel iwlwifi driver. And worse, booting old 4.4 kernels is not working
> for it.
>
> What data do I need to gather to help troubleshoot this and fix it?

On Net the NetworkManager log shows

(wlp0s0): using nl80211 for WiFi device Control
device (wlp0s0): driver supports Access Point (AP) mode
manager: (wlp0s0): new 802.11 WiFi device
device (wlp0s0): state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed') [10
20 2]

More interestingly

# wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlps0s0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Succesfully initialized wpa_supplicant
rfkill: WLAN hard blocked

So, on my netbook, when it turned on, the wifi was always not quite right and I
had to toggle via the via function keyboard key it to 'off' and then 'on'
again. That not working could have been part of the problem under 4.9.35?
But for this laptop, that had never been a problem, the wifi worked.
Still, I've tried now toggling it using the Wifi function key and no success

Sadly the rfkill command doesn't seem to be available in my dom0 or net vm

In net tried (after chmod u+w hard)
# echo 0  >  /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/hard
Error while writing to stdout
write_loop: Input/output error