Don't know what this means, but I downloaded the new 4.0 RC2, put it on a flash
drive, and tried to install it on my new Dell laptop.  It froze early on, with
the messages:

Firmware Bug:  TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to errate.  Please update microcode to
version 0xb2 (or later)

2.035271  Could not get size 0x800<bunch of zeros>0e

Anyway, just a data point.

I tried the "troubleshooting" option.  It froze again, but I didn't write down
the step.  I believe it was after discovering/creating /dev/sdd

Good luck!  I'll try again once the final version comes out.  I'll monitor this
if someone has an idea of how to get beyond this, but it's just an early hang
for me.

billo