Hey y'all, I have found some workarounds for getting VMs to boot. If you
change the virt_mode to pv instead of hvm, usually sys-usb and sys-firewall
will begin to boot regularly. I also increased the qrexec-timeout to 120
per someone's recommendation here, and that seemed to help sys-whonix boot
better. Also running VMs in "debug mode" in the VM Settings UI seems to
help a little bit.

Hope this helps!

- Caleb Smith