I must have done something else because I got error messages when I tried to
reset the firewall and sys-net VMs, so rather than spending any more time
fiddling around I reinstalled and was more careful about the boxes I checked.

While it's a good idea to have the option of seting update through Tor by
default I think it could be better explained in the installer, and the checkbox
shouldn't be positioned as a subset of the Whonix option but should instead be
set away from the template VM options.