On 11/17/2017 09:49 AM, torontojoh...@gmail.com wrote:
I intend to reinstall 3.2 which is currently running on somewhat undersized
SSD. This time I would like to keep most of the semi-static portions of the OS
and templates on the SSD for speed and to reduce wear on the SSD and the more
dynamic parts on a spinning disk. If this were a conventional Linux distro, I
would put /tmp, /var, /home in separate partitions on the spinner and the rest
on the SSD. I would tend to put swap on the spinner also because with the
amount of memory in this box, I do not expect swap to be used much, if at all
and would rather wast space on the disk than the SSD.

The problem is that the more I think about it, the more convinced I have become
that I do not actually understand the file system structure in Qubes OS.

I have done some keyword searches here but have not found what I need. I would
appreciate any pointers as to where I could find this info or if it is compact,
a list of what to put where would be great. I am fully comfortable with fdisk
so I do not need help with the partitioning itself, unless there is some
unusual gotchas in Qubes.

I think I need to still put /tmp and /Var on the disk but I think I understand
that the /home for each of the VMs actually reside in /var but I do not know
what is happening with /tmp.

Thank you in advance.

These are the two methods for R3.2:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/storage-pools/

The first uses symlinks for each appVM folder. I'm not sure but I think you can symlink the whole appvms folder if you want all appVM storage to go to the other drive automatically.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket