On Mon, November 27, 2017 05:40, pr0xy wrote:
> On 2017-11-20 18:08, awokd wrote:
>> On Mon, November 20, 2017 10:01, pr0xy wrote:
>>> Please help a somewhat noob who wants to use Qubes in the office.
>>>
>>> I got the OK to try using Qubes R3.2 in my company network as a
>>> workstation. They have a very restrictive proxy that forces all traffic
>>> through an HTTP/HTTPS proxy like:
>>>
>>> proxy.example.com:8080
>>>
>>> How could I force all Qubes traffic to go through that proxy and that
>>> port?
>>>
>>> Would that be in sys-net, or a Firewall VM?
>>
>> Check https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/ . Ignore the parts about VPN
>> setup
>> but you should be able to set up your proxy redirect in the Proxy VM.
>> I'm
>> assuming local traffic like DNS lookups would not go through the proxy.
>
> Thanks. I have been reading up on the ProxyVM, which seems to be the way
> I would do this, but I'm a bit confused as to where I would add these
> proxy settings. I'm not familiar with manipulating IP tables, or writing
> the sort of scripts on that page, but is that what I would need to set?
>
> I wanted to stay away from setting the environment variables for
> http_proxy, https_proxy, ftp_proxy and no_proxy in each VM.  Ideally I
> think I'd like to use a ProxyVM to proxify an entire AppVM, but the
> documentation doesn't make it clear how I would attempt this.

You're right, you'd need to manipulate IP tables. There is no built in way
to do it with just the Qubes UI.

See
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10595575/iptables-configuration-for-transparent-proxy
for an example if you wanted to use the transparent proxy approach.
Sys-whonix is essentially a transparent proxy that forwards all traffic
through Tor.

Another option could be
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/config/http-filtering-proxy/ . See also
https://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.de/2011/09/playing-with-qubes-networking-for-fun.html