On 2017-11-27 15:21, 'Marek Jenkins' via qubes-users wrote:
> On Monday, 27 November 2017 12:04:27 UTC+1, Jean-Luc Duriez
> wrote:
>> New to Qubes OS but veteran Linux user, I am currently building a
>> R4-RC2 config for my day-to-day personal desktop. I gave a try to
>> R3.2 but my Intel HD 630 integrated GPU was not supported, so I
>> went for the beta.
>>
>> I have begun to create a few AppVMs and imported my data in the
>> Qubes. I feel confident enough to start using it right now as it
>> is quite stable.
>>
>> Before I make the big step to ditch my previous OS, I would like
>> to know what will be the procedure to switch from R4-RC2 to R4
>> stable. Shall I be forced into a reinstall of Qubes OS from
>> scratch, or will it be something easier like a dom0 update, which
>> will preserve the Templates/AppVMs ? What should I expect for the
>> upgrade ?
>>
>> Thanks for your lights
>>
>> Jean-Luc
>
> I'd also be interested to know !

We'll announce this as soon as we can. However, we usually can't say
for certain whether an in-place upgrade will be possible until very
close to the stable release.

If we say that it'll be possible based on our current plans, and those
plans change, users may be inconvenienced (or worse). If we refrain
from changing our plans because we've already said that an in-place
upgrade will be possible, that limits our ability to improve the final
release while it's still in testing. We don't want to make promises
that we can't keep, but we also don't want to lock ourselves into a
path that turns out to be sub-optimal. That's why we wait to announce
things like this until we can be reasonably certain.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org