On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 09:27:16PM +0100, CF wrote:
> Dear Users,
>
> A few (simple) questions as I was reading about DNS servers:
>
> 1 - Any feedback on using your own DNS server directly on your Qubes
> machine (using unbound for instance)? Is it straightforward to have your
> DNS cache persistent across reboots?
>
> 2 - Any feedback on the DNS over TLS provided by quad 9?
> https://www.quad9.net/
> https://labs.ripe.net/Members/stephane_bortzmeyer/quad9-a-public-dns-resolver-with-security/
>
> 3 - Are you aware of any other similar public server available? (IPV4 /
> IPV6 + DNS over TLS)
>
> 4 - Last but not least, it is not very clear how to set up Qubes to use
> a given DNS server. Should we modify each VM? Or only the net VM? Or the
> firewall VM?
>
> Thanks

You can, if you wish, set up a qube to provide DNS - you can either set
this on one of the proxyVMs or use a dedicated qube (in which case you
will need to manipulate iptables to allow inter-qube traffic).
Look at https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall to help with this.

To make the cache persistent, either store it in /usr/local or use the
bind-dirs facility:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/bind-dirs/

To understand the standard Qubes DNS in 3.2, note that each qube has in
/etc/resolv.conf nameserver entries for the network segment relating to
the network relating to the  proxy to which it is connected.
If you examine the iptables rules in the proxy you will see that the NAT
table contains a chain which effectively redirects DNS traffic upstream,
using the same .1 and .254 addresses.
At sys-net, the iptables rules redirect to the external DNS server(s)

If you want to use a particular server, change the iptables DNAT rules in
sys-net - you can do this from /rw/config/rc.local - again look at the
docs of the firewall.
OR if you want just SOME qubes to use a different DNS server, make
changes to the PR-QBS chain in the proxy to redirect DNS traffic to the chosen
server.
You can see that ALL of the methods proposed in your final question will
work: which you choose will depend on how many qubes you want to use
the given DNS server.

unman