On 12/15/2017 12:54 PM, Matteo wrote:

I disagree when you say nooone is going to backdoor your bios.   I think its
very common nowadays.
Actually no it isn't - unless you have managed to ruffle the feathers of a state actor such as the FSB or MSS.

I have never heard of a real proven BIOS hack of anyone even a serious military intelligence target let alone a common law abiding citizen who simply managed to piss off some guy in a chat-room or what not, I am sure it has been done many times but despite being active in the firmware modification community I haven't heard about it.
as far as i know there is computrace that is an anti theft system that
gain persistence over the os by dropping an exe that windows will load
at boot time but this works only over fat32 and ntfs (not encrypted).
i heard also about lenovo doing the same thing for ads or whatever. and
after people got angry they released a bios patch to opt-out.
but i wouldn't say "very common".
Computrace uses a windows utility to do this not direct code injection so using linux or simply disabling it in your vendor BIOS would solve the issue of an out-dated problematic exe being forcibly loaded.

If you wish for better security you can use a coreboot board with open source silicon init (not purism, get the libre RYF kcma-d8 or the lenovo g505s laptop for instance) otherwise while you can use an external flash clip to read back the BIOS and make sure it hasn't been modified you still would be vulnerable to manufacturer security problems, ME etc.