On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 9:21:32 AM UTC, haaber wrote:
> I freshly installed debian-9 ; when installing packages, apt-get hangs
> for days(!) with
>
> 81% [waiting for headers] ...
> followed by Err:XX Connection failed.
>
> Has someone an idea where to look / how to procede? (there is definitely
> no other apt* running ). Thank you, Bernhard

You might already tried some of these, or maybe it won't be helpful, but either
way, here is some suggestions to start with.

1) It's probably not this simple to fix, but then again it's a quick and cheap
trial and error test to check and be sure. Try clean old update data. "sudo
apt-get clean" in the debian-9 terminal. I'm not sure how to clean old data in
dom0 or the sys-firewall, or wherever Qubes 4 new update mechanism keeps its
downloaded packages before sending them to the "offline" updating template in
question. But perhaps this is something to look further into, atm I don't have
too much time to do so. If it keeps hanging on the same %, then perhaps this is
a possible suspect, and maybe a cleanup fixes it.

2) Does restarting all of Qubes, and immediately update debian-9 after full
startup, make any difference? I.e. I've experienced issues on longer running
Qubes 4 my self, but mostly my issues are triggered by suspend/hibernate or if
HDMI plugged TV-screen goes to sleep mode on its own (even if laptop screen is
not sleeping). It triggers various of weird system issues, I'm suspecting it's
driver-module/kernel related, but I'm not really all that sure. A full system
restart however, makes everything work fully again. Perhaps you experience
something similar, yet different at the same time. Either way, quick way to
find out whether a full restart works or not.

3) How about "sudo journalctl --boot" in dom0 and AppVM terminal alike, same
time, after you did both a system restart and then following also encounter the
update bug. Doing it after a system restart cleans the log and make it easier
to read. Aka, easier to scroll down to the last lines that matter, and doing it
right after you encounter the issue, makes it a possibility to spot some errors
in the log, around the end of it. (I'm sure there are smarter ways to navigate
these long scrolling, but none that I'm aware of). Doing this both in the AppVM
and dom0, same time, and look for something that looks out of the ordinary.
Also executing both commands same time, before looking into the logs details,
makes it a bit easier, so you don't have to mess with time-log comparisons.

I know these are relative simple approaches, but I can't think of anything
deeper atm. If above suggestions are to no prevail, then maybe someone more
knowledgeable will drop by with better suggestions.