Hi,

I am wondering a bit what this USB & NetVM shielding are really buying me. I am
switching from a laptop to a desktop, so it may remain unattended for quite a
while and thus could be exposed to hardware access... The hardware access will
be mild, meaning I could imagine someone to compromise a bootloader or install
a malicious device.

Now say that install an internal USB controller to which I connect an SD-Card
reader, which in turn uses Anti-Evil-Maid to boot the machine. This controller
needs to be whitelisted. But since it is internal and will only provide one
slot for the card reader, the machine will not boot properly without this
setup. Still, someone could compromise this setup.

So lets say I had a PCI-Express card reader, which seems to not be available
for desktops... Wouldn't this pose the same problem? PCI-Express also has DMA
access. How does Qubes know that a particular PCI-Express device can be safely
attached to Dom0 (like a SD card reader on a laptop, which is usually
PCI-Express)? If the PCI-Express device is compromised, wouldn't it compromise
Dom0?

Anyway I am trying to wrap my head around what I can and can not protect
against.

It seems as if Qubes OS is useless in protecting against hardware access. Even
with TPM, I am not sure how realistic it is. Will AEM be triggered when
changing USB controllers or adding hostile USB devices to the one whilelisted
controller that manages the AEM device? If not, what is the point of AEM? How
is AEM any better than simply putting the bootloader on a separate disk? Okay,
it gives a bit better piece of mind that really MY bootloader was used, but
that is about it, right? It won't help against someone adding compromised
devices to a PCI-E slot or USB?!

Any links or help here? Btw, its really hard to find any useful information via
Google about most topics regarding Qubes OS. Is Qubes OS somehow downranked
intentionally?

Cheers
Chris