On 2017-12-19 15:33, Unman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 03:09:05PM +0100, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users wrote:
>> On Monday, 18 December 2017 10:13:48 CET pr0xy wrote:
>> > I am still a bit stuck concerning the Qubes Update Proxy. Where would I
>> > set the environment variables for my corporate proxy so that I could
>> > update dom0, templates and VMs?
>>
>> You should add sys-net to your template VM if you want that since the proxy
>> that is in place today is to avoid your template VM from accessing the
>> intranet or internet outside of your own machine.
>>
>> Then google on where the template operating system (Fedora or Debian etc)
>> sets proxies for doing the command-line update, the configuration is the same
>> as Fedora or Debian etc.
>> I don’t know fedora at all,
>> in archlinux you’ll have a file in /etc/pacman/ which sets the current proxy,
>> in debian you’ll likely have one in /etc/apt/
>>
>> grep -R -i  PROXY /etc/*
>>
>> may be useful too.
>
> Tom
>
> Ive suggested before that if you give this advice you should
> clearly state the consequences.
>
> op - please dont do this. sys-net will not enforce a firewall and it is
> bad practice to expose your templates in this way.
>
> i understand you chose  not to use the iptables route.
> If you want to combine the Qubes proxy with an external proxy on
> your network you should be able to do this by editing the tinyproxy.conf
> file. You will find this in /etc/tinyproxy.
>
> Qubes uses tinyproxy for all the template updates. you can make
> tinyproxy use an external proxy.
> The change you need to make is:
> upstream  host:port
>
> check the documentation at
> https://tinyproxy.github.io
>
> unman

I did try the iptables method you suggested, but like Marek said, the
applications weren't aware of the proxy and didn't use it. I would just
get failed connections without setting the proxy in each piece of
software in each AppVM. The environment variable setting seemed to work
better in the AppVMs.

I tested setting the upstream  host:port in the tinyproxy.conf of
sys-firewall. That didn't seem to work as I couldn't get Template
updates to connect to look for updates. I also tested setting this same
method on sys-net, but with the same results.

I also asked around on IRC about this, and was told that the Qubes
Update Proxy could be adjusted from here:

/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/qubes-updates-proxy.service

Wasn't sure how I could manipulate the proxy from there, but it does
point to tinyproxy at /etc/tinyproxy/tinyproxy-updates.conf
I tried adding the upstream  host:port to that file on sys-firewall, but
the template updates still give me an "Error: Failed to synchronize
cache for repo 'updates'" The result was the same attempting the same
setting on sys-net.