On 2017-12-22 21:30, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
> On 2017-12-22 09:50, awokd wrote:
>> On Fri, December 22, 2017 10:29 am, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users
>>  wrote:

>> If you have room for it, back up everything! You can restore
>> selectively later.
>
> thanks for the two replies, *However, neither gets to the gist of
> my inquiry. Namely, which VMs am I supposed to be backing up,

You should back up every VM that contains data that you don't want to
lose and can't replace. For most people, this means backing up every
VM that contains things like documents, emails, photos, and videos. If
you're short on space, it's not necessary to make backups of things
that you know you'll be able to download easily again later (e.g., an
unmodified TemplateVM).

> Dom0 (which for some reason is over *500GB!)  , hence  I can't
> backup "everything" even with a 2GB internal HD that I'm trying to
>  use

For most users, the main reason to back up dom0 is because that's
where your dom0 user settings are stored. Normally, dom0 should not be
that large, since you're only backing up the home directory. (You're
using qvm-backup, right?) It sounds like you didn't expect it to be
that large, so if there's not enough data in your home directory to
account for it, check /var/tmp to see if you have a lot of partial
restores taking up space.

> I was thinking of skipping the 1 large offline AppVM where I keep
> old photos, and did, so why did  the Templates and Dom0  come out
> to such a *Huge filesize,   what would be typical ???
>
>> From what your saying can I skip the Debian 8 Template, I have 2
>>  AppVMs
> and the Whonix stuff based on it I guess

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org