On 2017-12-23 15:11, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2017-12-22 21:30, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
>> On 2017-12-22 09:50, awokd wrote:

>>> If you have room for it, back up everything! You can restore
>>> selectively later.
>
>> thanks for the two replies, *However, neither gets to the gist
>> of my inquiry. Namely, which VMs am I supposed to be backing up,
>
> You should back up every VM that contains data that you don't want
> to lose and can't replace. For most people, this means backing up
> every VM that contains things like documents, emails, photos, and
> videos. If you're short on space, it's not necessary to make
> backups of things that you know you'll be able to download easily
> again later (e.g., an unmodified TemplateVM).
>
>> Dom0 (which for some reason is over *500GB!)  , hence  I can't
>> backup "everything" even with a 2GB internal HD that I'm trying
>> to use
>

> For most users, the main reason to back up dom0 is because that's
> where your dom0 user settings are stored. Normally, dom0 should
> not be that large, since you're only backing up the home
> directory. (You're using qvm-backup, right?) It sounds like you
> didn't expect it to be that large, so if there's not enough data in
> your home directory to account for it, check /var/tmp to see if you
> have a lot of partial restores taking up space.

Just to clarify: Having a lot of data in /var/tmp shouldn't affect the
size of dom0 when you back it up using qvm-backup (since, again,
you're only backing up the home directory). But I mention it because I
don't know whether you're looking at the total size of dom0, and one
common reason for the total size of dom0 becoming unexpectedly large
is that /var/tmp fills up with partial restores.

>> I was thinking of skipping the 1 large offline AppVM where I
>> keep old photos, and did, so why did  the Templates and Dom0
>> come out to such a *Huge filesize,   what would be typical ???
>
>>> From what your saying can I skip the Debian 8 Template, I have
>>> 2 AppVMs
>> and the Whonix stuff based on it I guess

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org