On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 05:30:49AM -0800, Vít Šesták wrote:
> As far as I remember, there was an idea to kill stubdoms after boot, which
> would both reduce risk (as stubdoms run in PV) and CPU+memory overhead. I
> cannot try it right now, because I haven't installed Q4.

Unfortunately this doesn't work.
But with PVHv2 stubdomain is also not needed. We're almost there - the
only remaining thing is to solve issues in this pull request:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-linux-kernel/pull/13

> > If I switch to disposable VMs, I assume the risk would be reduced.
>
> You can sort reduce some risk of having your AppVMs permanently pwned. As a
> result, this  could prevent some kinds of gradual pwnage of dom0.
>
> OTOH, if attacker pwns some your VM and has a reliable way to escape from the
> VM to dom0, it does not matter if it is DispVM or not.
>
> > Can this be done for the sys-vms?
>
> Not sure about 4, but I have done something similar for sys-usb in Q3.2.
> Strictly speaking, it is not a DVM, but it behaves similarly. The hack is
> simple in Q3.2: 1. Truncate VM's private.img to zero bytes. 2. Ensure that
> the VM template has created /home/user in root.img. (You can do something
> like this: sudo mkdir /tmp/root && sudo mount --bind / /tmp/root && sudo
> mkdir /tmp/root/home/user && sudo chown user:user /tmp/root/home/user && sudo
> chmod 700 /tmp/root/home/user)
>
> In Q4, you will probably be able to do something similar, but you probably
> can't truncate LVM volume to zero bytes, so this will require some
> elaboration.

In Q4 you can create static DispVM for various tasks, including sys-usb.
I haven't tried it, but something like this should work:

    qvm-create -C DispVM -l red sys-usb2
    qvm-pci attach --persistent sys-usb2 dom0:00_1a.0
    qvm-prefs sys-usb2 autostart true
    # optional, if you want
    qvm-prefs sys-usb2 provides_network true

Then, disable (or remove) default sys-usb. Of course you need to adjust
device for your hardware.

This way, every time the VM is started, it gets new private volume,
which gets discarded at VM shutdown. But VM configuration is persistent,
so you don't have to configure it each time.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab