On 2017-12-24 16:01, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2017-12-24 19:08, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:

>>> You should back up every VM that contains data that you don't
>>> want to lose and can't replace. For most people, this means
>>> backing up every VM that contains things like documents, emails,
>>> photos, and videos. If you're short on space, it's not necessary
>>> to make backups of things that you know you'll be able to
>>> download easily again later (e.g., an unmodified TemplateVM).

>>> For most users, the main reason to back up dom0 is because that's
>>> where your dom0 user settings are stored. Normally, dom0 should
>>> not be that large, since you're only backing up the home
>>> directory. (You're using qvm-backup, right?) It sounds like you
>>> didn't expect it to be that large, so if there's not enough data
>>> in your home directory to account for it, check /var/tmp to see
>>> if you have a lot of partial restores taking up space.

>> What is the default backup location from the GUI VM Manager
>
> It looks like the default is dom0. (Not sure, since I usually use the
> CLI, but I just tried going through the first few prompts in the GUI,
> and the default target was dom0.)
>
>> : I'm wondering now where I backed up my 300GB VM with old photos
>> back in May 2017 ....maybe that has something to do with the size
>> problem I'm encountering ...... I probably wanna know where is it
>> anyway. I don't think I thought to change it from the default
>> setting, as I was new, and still am to what behaviour to expect
>> from Qubes systems ...and just let it back up where-ever the
>> default would be.
>>

> Yeah, it sound like you probably have ~500GB worth of backups in your
> dom0 home directory. You'll probably want to move those to another
> location before backing up dom0 (if you don't want to include those
> backups in your backup).
>
>> PS: keeping in mind, my perhaps, *only reason to be attempting a
>> backup would be to migrate it to 4.0  ,
>
> I recommend making frequent backups (so that you don't lose data in an
> unexpected hardware or software malfunction), not just for migration.
>
>> so I  *still want to back up Templates and Dom0??
>
> That really depends on you. The answer will be different for different
> people. The main consideration is whether you have any data in dom0's
> home or in your TemplateVMs that you don't want to lose. Personally, I
> would back everything up just in case. You may not end up using it all
> in the migration process, but the problem is that you may not be
> entirely certain, before that process is complete, which data you will
> want to have migrated. In hindsight, you may wish you had migrated
> more. You can always exclude data you have, but you can't include data
> you no longer have.
>
>> Most of my AppVMs are just for browsing the web and the 15
>> different times, I've reset up  firefox with perhaps a few
>> downloads ..... considering that would there be some reason to
>> backup AppVMs .....

> [...]

-----
And *Once something is in dom0  files  it can't be moved *out to any
other VMs , so guess I need to  delete the  large  AppVM backup, that is
*indeed in dom0 /home   and re-back it up to an another internal HD ....
would seem to be preferable , that backing up to dom0 to dom0  (since I
guess I'll be backing up "everything" and if that's too large then maybe
I'll skip the Templates...

But, again just curious,  are the Templates , Whonix, and AppVMs, dom0
going to be *importable   into   Qubes 4.0  ?  in general , I don't
really use Deb-8  which it sounds like will be in Q4.0, and Fedora's
Templates will be F26  *not F25 ....... ?

PS: cc "user list"