Per this, in Qubes 4.0 software is to be installed using Qubes tools.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/aBE-U9YKhjU/0t7hspsbAgAJ

Is there at this time any documentation of how that's done? The current list of
CLI tools doesn't seem to include anything that relates.

I looked at Yum Extender under System Tools, but don't see any way to either
install arbitrary RPMs or add new repos.

This:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/334117/how-to-add-software-sources-for-dom0-in-qubes
...suggests that the correct way to do it is to temporarily add a repo, then
remove it when you're done installing.

1. Is that the canonical method?
2. How would we retrieve updates?
3. What if we need to install a package that's not available via a repo?