On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 02:59:55PM -0500, Ralph Douglass wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 2:06 PM, cooloutac <raahe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:13:49 AM UTC-5,
> > qubes-us...@ralphdouglass.com wrote:

> > without iommu and see if it still happens.

> > > I can recreate this error message consistently while running the latest
> > R4 rc3.
> > >
> > > Inside of sys-net, just shut down the vm from the inside (e.g. sudo
> > reboot)
> > >
> > > Afterwards sys-net fails to start:
> > >
> > > $ qvm-start sys-net
> > > Start failed: invalid argument: network device with mac
> > XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX already exists
> > >
> > > To get back in a good state without rebooting the entire machine, I have
> > to shut down (or kill) all dependent vms (AppVMs talking to my firewall-vm
> > and my firewall vm).  Then I can start sys-net again, followed by my
> > firewall vm, followed by my regular app vms.
> > >
> > > I've managed to trigger this on two Lenovo laptops and one Dell laptop
> > so far, all of which are running R4rc3.
> > >
> > > I'm pretty new to QubesOS and haven't figured out how to dig through the
> > innards well enough yet to find anything useful.
> >
> > afaik, You can't shut down sys-net if other vms using it are running.
> >

> Correct.  You need to shut down or kill all dependent vms (as mentioned in
> my email already).  It's still better than rebooting one's entire machine,
> but obviously not ideal.

The point is that you shouldn't be bringing down a qube when it has other
qubes using it as a netvm.
Sometimes (and I stress sometimes) you can recover from this by
changing the netvm of child qubes , restarting sys-net and then
reattaching the children.

If you have sys-firewall, then changing netvms of children to
something else, killing sys-firewall, restarting sys-net, restarting
sys-firewall and then reattaching children will work.
Somewhat better than shutting down all dependent qubes.

unman