Yo everyone,

For future reference, problem solved. The packages
        qubes-core-agent-nautilus
        qubes-core-agent-networking
        qubes-core-agent-network-manager
        qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root
        qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates
        qubes-input-proxy-sender
        qubes-usb-proxy
Are not included by default in the minimal template vm. The first one gives you
the cute (send here/move there/open in dispVM) stuff in Nautilus.
The next two are (I suppose) to make networking not a pain in the bum.
The fourth one should do what is done in https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/
for you.
The fifth one is needed if you are setting up a template you'll use as the
underlying one for the vm that takes care of updating dom0.
The last two are to set up a template for sys-usb.

All this information was somewhere between here and the github issues page, but
it should really (REALLY) be listed in
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora-minimal/ since nearly always one
will end up needing at least one of the packages listed above.
At the moment setting up a template based on a minimal fedora distribution
looks like a treasure hunt, and I am pretty sure it would save people a lot of
energy and time to have this stuff added to the fedora-minimal reference page.

Cheers,
Fab