On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 8:43 PM, Zrubi <m...@zrubi.hu> wrote:

> On 01/03/2018 10:09 PM, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-devel wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > during my Christmas holiday I spent more time to get myself a
> > decent GUI tool in order to replace the Qubes Manager from the 3.x
> > release. As I promised some weeks ago, today I released the tool as
> > free/open source software and I have received some positive signs
> > that the Qubes devs may ship packages in a future release.
>
> > I'll attach two sceenshots of the tool, to give you a bit of an
> > idea of what it already does and maybe if its worth your time to
> > compile :)
>

> Probably this is very subjective, but:
> For me, the most important parts/feature of the current Qubes Manager
> are (in order of importance):
>
> - - Full overview of the state of the VMs in ONE screen, without clicking.
> The new widget is failing on this badly, just as your proposal.
>

> - - Changing the NetVM of a given VM.
> Mainly because I always starting DispVMs without net access.
> And even the current solution is far from comfortable:
> (VM settings -> NetVM selection -> OK
> instead of a simple "oneclick" NetVM selection)
>
> - - Starting programs from a given VM.
> Yes the "start menu" is nice, but sometime it is just more powerful to
> type directly what I want. Especially on an already started dispVM
>
> - - start/stop VMs
>
> - - attaching/detaching devices.
>
> - - reading VM logs.

I agree with Zrubi list. I would add some way to make some order in the
applVM list, so that a standard view may show only the most commonly used
VMs, while rarely used VMs are hidden and shown only clicking a button. To
do that, there should be a flag to differentiate the visibility of VMs.

This may be helpful also in a corporate environment when an administrator
can decide which VMs should be shown and which should be hidden.

Best
Fran