Hello all!

I apologise for the vague subject, but I have been trying all kinds of
things, and I simply can't understand half of the issues, and the other
half I can't seem to find a solution to.

First of all I have all the respect in the world for the entire Qubes team,
and I sincerely believe that you are making the world a better place.

The machine: ThinkPad X270 (full specs:
https://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/portatili-e-notebook/0007017591).
It has 8 GB RAM.

So.. to the issues..
1) A more general gripe with not having enough documentation to actually
get through a setup process. I used Qubes 3.2 before, and I simply went
about Qubes 4 the same way. I know that there have been multiple changes,
and I honestly believe the changes are for the better.

But issues like moving a templates home directory to /etc/skel (meaning
that appvm's inherit /etc/skel as home dir from the template) left me
baffled with my first install.. I setup my template exactly as I wanted,
created an appvm, and nothing was initialised. I had no idea what was going
on, and the only way I could get some information was through a GitHub
issue. Even after moving everything over to /etc/skel, I still have
issues.. not everything is being carried over, not everything is being read
correctly, and /etc/skel is not being synchronised either. If I add
something new to /etc/skel AFTER creating a appvm, the appvm's homedir
won't be updated.

I like the idea with moving all the GUI functionality to the shell. I
prefer using the shell anyway. But for instance, in 3.2, you could allow
access to through the firewall for a templatevm. Now it has to be done
through qvm-prefs. This is not documented anywhere, and this was also an
infuriating issue for me.

2) I have reinstalled qubes multiple times over the weekend (friday through
sunday) to get my install at a state that I am actually satisfied with.

Most griping issues: sys-net and sys-firewall do not start on boot.
Journalctl claims that there isn't enough memory to start sys-net on boot
(I don't have anything more descriptive for sys-firewall).
I can easily start them after boot and login. If I need more memory, then I
will happily upgrade. I intended to do so anyway, but I cannot understand
why it worked fine in 3.2 with 8 GB RAM.

3) The issue mentioned under documentation with setting up a template
exactly the way I want it.
To understand the issue in depth, I think it's in place to describe my
setup:
Having 2 base templates (based on the debian 9 template):

  * One I call 'trusted' which is based on debian sid (unstable) that I
install everything I use for daily usage (firefox, libreoffice, mpv, emacs,
other open source tools). Primarily AppVM's will be based out of this
template.

* One I call 'untrusted' that is going to be a clone of 'trusted', and that
I install proprietary software in, that I also use on a daily basis (e.g.
spotify). Also AppVM's out of this, but probably only 1 to start with.

* I will probably create a standalone VM based off of 'trusted' that I use
for development. So I will install stuff like docker, golang, and all other
stuff I would otherwise use for developing.

I have not been able to create my 'trusted' template in a proper manner,
since I can't get /etc/skel to work properly.

NOTE: I use zsh with oh my zsh and spacemacs. Both of which are git repos
that are cloned to the homedir of the user (meaning they are git repos
cloned to /etc/skel)
If this is improper usage, then please guide me to how I should go about
doing this instead, as I have no idea what the smartest solution would
otherwise be.

Sorry for the long email, and thanks in advance for clarifying answers.

Best regards and all the best.