On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 7:36:05 PM UTC+1, tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> Is there any news on a fix or work-around coming for 3.2?
>
> Converting all the templates to HVM is doable and would greatly improve
> security, in light of the severity of these exploits I see no reason not
> to do it despite it not being in the original requirements.
>
> I would appreciate advice on how to perform this.

In terms of economics of development time and cost, I wonder where the trade
off will lay between bringing 3.2. up to speed in security against these
threats, versus migrating all users to Qubes 4 (hopefully RC-4 will be stable
enough to be final version).

Questions boggle my mind though, when would Qubes 4 overall be considered just
as safe (and thereon safer) than Qubes 3.2? I'm sure at some points Qubes 4 is
already more secure, but as we all know it's not fully finished and polished
yet.

Does it have a low development cost to implement HVM in Qubes 3.2? or would it
be more feasible to recommend everyone to migrate to qubes 4 as fast as
possible?

Thinking about it, at the very least for the spectre attack from the little
understanding I have, it seems like it's difficult and resourceful to pull off.
Maybe most people would be fine on Qubes 3.2. for a while yet, while high
profile targets may want to move to Qubes 4 sooner rather than later?

I definitely don't have any full pictures here, I'm merely poking to questions
or different perspectives and see what comes out of it. To me a solution seems
like high profile targets could move to Qubes 4 soon, while the low profile
targets (at least when it comes to spectre) can feel somewhat safe for a while
yet? Or is that a failed logic?