Does anyone have direct knowledge of a USB to VGA or USB to HDMI adapter
that is known to work in Qubes?

I've installed Qubes 4.0-rc3 on my new Dell 7577 laptop (Nvidia Geforce
GTX).  Everything seems good except I can not get another monitor to work
on the HDMI port (HCL forthcoming).  I followed the Qubes NVIDIA
instructions and get about the same issue as others have reported... X does
not start.  After I blacklisted the nvidia and nouveau modules I was able
to get X to function again.  xrandr in dom0 shows HDMI and DisplayPort
ports as disconnected, even when I have an HDMI monitor connected.  One
weird thing, when I plug in an HDMI monitor, the Qubes Display app pops up
automatically... like it knows something was plugged in, but nothing I did
was able to make it available for use or say "connected" in xrandr.

Anyway, I'd really like to add another monitor (or two!!!) to the setup.
If I have to purchase an external adapter to bypass the issue I guess that
will work, but I want to know that it works specifically with Qubes before
I buy one.  I've done searches for Qubes and Fedora and didn't seem to come
up with anything specifically positive, only negative reports.