On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 10:00:19 PM UTC+1, Alex Dubois wrote:
> You can use GPU computing in Dom0 with the assumption that:
> - You trust the software you plan on using
>    - 3D design software such as Blender
>    - GPU compute such as CUDA libs, Tensorflow, Keras, etc..
> - You only create assets/code and export them out of Dom0

You right, one can, but:

* At least, this goes against the nature of Qubes.
* You don't have any Internet connection there.
* Creating only (and not importing anything) is a very important (and often
unrealistic) assumption. So, you should not open any file you download. If
there is some vulnerability in such software (well, Blender:
https://developer.blender.org/T52924), you are actually potentially more
affected than with traditional OS like Ubuntu: In Qubes, dom0 sometimes gets
out of date (like Q3.2 being based on EOLed F23), so you don't receive any
security update for software like Blender. That's not because ITL does not care
about security, that's because Blender is not a a security-critical component
like Xen or Linux kernel are. That's the cost of using Qubes in a way it was
never intended.

> If you have multiple GPU (i.e. integrated + NVidia), it is possible with Xen
> to do GPU pass-through (Assign the NVidia GPU to a dedicated VM) however:
> - It is far from trivial and only limited setups are known to work

Right.

> - The security of it is not as robust (I can't remember where I read that, I
> think it was in the GPU Pass-through page of the Xen wiki)

I guess one of potential reasons: Some people have succeeded only without
stubdom, i.e., with QEMU running in dom0.

V6