I think that Qubes needs 3 things to really take off:

1. It Just Works.  Even on new systems with new hardware.  That means an
up-to-date kernel and drivers.  Probably not an LTS.  It also means getting
UEFI to work out of the box — it doesn't for me.  That also means recent
installers that are aware of the quirks of different kinds of firmware.

2. GPU acceleration.  A big use for Qubes IMO is running games in a
sandboxed environment.  But games need hardware-accelerated graphics.  In
fact, recent games often require dedicated graphics cards to get acceptable
performance.  That means GPU virtualization for ALL GPUs.  Not just Intel
integrated graphics.

And it's not just games.  Firefox’s WebRender makes heavy use of the GPU.
So does QT5.  And I suspect Chromium will follow suit.  GPUs are quickly
becoming a requirement, not an option.

I think that the solution is to implement OpenGL on WebGL inside the VMs,
and expose WebGL from GUIVM.  That's what browsers do.

3. Windows support that Just Works.  One should not need to know anything
about Linux or Xen to use Qubes.  Even though they are what Qubes is built
on, they should be implementation details that one need not be familiar
with.

On Jan 18, 2018 5:56 PM, "'Tom Zander' via qubes-users" <
qubes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On Sunday, 14 January 2018 08:12:24 CET r...@tuta.io wrote:
> Is qubes able to use the computing power of the gpu or is the type of gpu
> installed a waste in this issue?

Relevant here is an email I wrote recently;
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-devel/40ImS390sAw/Z7M0E8RiAQAJ

The context is a GSoC proposal proposal to modernize the painting
pipeline of Qubes.

Today GL using software uses [llvmpipe] to compile and render GL inside of
a Qube, completely in software and then push the 2d image to dom0.
This indeed wastes the GPU.

[llvmpipe]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-devel/
40ImS390sAw/Z7M0E8RiAQAJ

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io

msgid/qubes-users/1970768.QL1Wn2a4Hl%40mail.