On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 10:43:13 PM UTC+1, rysiek wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> R4.0 rc3 used to work pretty well, but with recent updates (yes, I have
> testing repos enabled), I started having some serious issues around Suspend-
> to-RAM:
>

> 1. Suspend-to-RAM does not work reliably
>
> When trying to suspend for the first time after a full reboot, the screen
> goes
> blank for a few seconds and then immediately I am greeted with the lock
> screen. The system does not suspend at all.
>
> After unlocking the screen and trying again, system suspends to RAM, but
> after
> wake-up the screen is *not* locked.
>

> 2. No networking after suspend
>
> After suspend-to-RAM (even unsuccessful, like the first scenario described
> above), the system completely loses networking; sys-net becomes unresponsive
> (and with it, the NetworkManager applet), restarting it does not seem to
> work,
> it is also impossible to start a terminal in sys-net.
>

> 3. USB mouse becomes unusable
>
> After suspend-to-RAM (again, including the first scenario from the top of
> this
> e-mail), the USB mouse becomes unusable, as if the system was not aware it is
> plugged in. Unplugging it and plugging it back in does not solve the issue.
>

> The only way to fix these is to reboot the machine.
>

> I am happy waiting for rc4 and I assume these are some temporary issues
> related to the current state of R4.0 pre-rc4, but thought it might be useful
> to put them out there.
>
> Perhaps someone else has seen such issues? Perhaps there is something I could
> do to debug them?
>
> --
> Pozdrawiam,
> Michał "rysiek" Woźniak
>
> Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147
> GPG Key Transition :: http://rys.io/en/147

I used to have this issue, but in all black-irony recent updates some weeks ago
fixed it for me, I no longer have this issue. However my issue started multiple
of months ago (also Qubes 4). Your issue description sounds like a downright
exact copy of the experience I had, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing you
have now, that I used to have.

I don't think re-installing with RC-3 or RC-4 will work if you don't know
exactly which update is messing up your system and thereby which update to
avoid, you might end up just getting the issue again on your new install. Also
current updated RC-3 is almost identical to RC-4, but it remains to be seen
whether the Qubes staff recommends us to re-install or just update existing
systems.

But the good news (I think) is because it's likely a driver fault, or
semi-driver fault, then it's likely just the kernel itself that is messing with
your system. Since you update fully to current-testing, you must have installed
the newly released 4.14.13 kernel, up from the previous 4.9.x kernel. As to my
limited knowledge on this area, kernels should hold essential drivers that most
systems require to function, while the kernel-module holds additional drivers
which you can opt-in or opt-out from by installing or not installing this
package. Dom0 doesn't install kernel-modules by default (my understanding is
that VM's have kernel-modules, since the intention is to have VM's handle extra
unique hardware). In other words, your issue is likely with just the kernel
itself, since your dom0 doesn't have a kernel-module.

Do you have experience with how to change which kernel is being booted? If you
do, then this should be pretty straight forward to test a different kernel.

It may sound redundant, but I recommend you make a backup of all your Qubes,
just in case something goes wrong. As the saying goes, whatever can go wrong,
will eventually go wrong.

It's also possible that its instead a fault in how a system talks to the kernel
drivers, rather than the driver itself (details here is definitely outside my
area of knowledge). But I think it's pretty safe to assume, that the
driver-fault is at least partly the reason, if not the full reason. But that's
just me postulating, and someone more knowledgeable than I may drop by with a
better answer too.

Either way, perhaps try switch to the previous dom0 kernel and see if it helps?
If it does not help, then you narrowed down the possible issue. If it helps,
then I recommend that you change how many kernels are being saved, before the
system deletes the oldest kernels during update. By default the system keeps
the last 3 installed kernels, including the current kernel. You can expand it
to 5 or even 10 kernels, for as long as you have free disk space. If you use a
specific partition for /boot, then you may want to check if it has enough disk
space too.