On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 2:32:38 PM UTC+1, beso wrote:
> On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 1:13:53 PM UTC+2, donoban wrote:

> > > sudo du -h / | sort -g -r | tail -100
> > > du: `/proc/5947/task/5947/fd/4' ei saa kasutada: No such file or directory
> > > du: `/proc/5947/task/5947/fdinfo/4' ei saa kasutada: No such file or
> > > directory
> > > du: `/proc/5947/fd/3' ei saa kasutada: No such file or directory
> > > du: `/proc/5947/fdinfo/3' ei saa kasutada: No such file or directory
> > > 0 /proc/109/ns
> > > 0 /proc/109/net/stat
> >
> > Ouch, try better this way:
> >
> > cd /
> > sudo du -sh *
> >
> > You should see each dir on / and its disk usage
> >
> > then cd what you think it's using more than expected and du -sh * again.
>
> Thank you for the answer. Actually I know generally that some of my appvm-s
> are quite big and there is quite few room(about 6G). Thing I don't understand
> and would like to know is that this free room is disappearing sometimes(not
> always) "in my eyes"(free space checker shows me in real time :-))

It may be, "possible" that discard / fstrim only partially works? For example
if it works in dom0, but not in some, or all your VM's, then numbers may
change, but they won't be exact. This too means some VM's can grow larger than
the actual files they hold, i.e. if you once had more files in, but no longer
have that much now. If it can't shrink back down, then it'll stay large. Does
your VM's shrink back down too?

I modified donoban's command slightly, it's a good command and it's a good
advice he gives. The only reason I modified it to AppVM folder, is because it's
a likely source for your disk changes, so it's a good place to start looking
too in addition to overall root at "/".

Try:

in dom0: cd /var/lib/qubes/appvms
in dom0: sudo du -sh *

It'll show all your AppVM's and their total disk usage, it's way simpler than
the "qvm-ls --format disk" dommand I gave you earlier.

It's recommendable that you save these logs over some days, i.e. sudo nano and
copy-paste into it, and save with ctrl+x and follow the guideline to save.

By keeping these logs, you can easily narrow down where it changes in an
uncontrollable manner when compared. You can even post them here if you prefer,
or cross out the VM names with numbers instead if you prefer privacy (just be
sure they match numbers between logs).

As donoban also said, if you do this properly, you'll be able to narrow down
the possible culprit. Run the commands once a day over a few days, on both "/"
and "/var/lib/qubes/appvms", and keep one log for each path, for some days.

This way, you'll quickly narrow it down with minimal effort once a day, only
requiring a bit of patience and a few quick commands daily, max 3-4 minutes.